I read this article today and it got me to thinking about my skin. When I was younger I ate a very healthy diet and had great skin and as I got older I ate more “junk” and my skin got worse. Is there a link?
According to Leslie Baumann, M.D from the article mentioned above there is. She says “Eating junk food like chips, white bread and French fries can cause breakouts. That’s because these foods have a high glycemic index, meaning they cause your blood sugar to rise, forcing your body to bring it down with a surge of insulin. The insulin stimulates oil-producing hormones called androgens, leaving you with pimples.”
Since the new year I’ve been on a mission to get healthy and stop eating/drinking junk and as a result I have to say my skin has really cleared up. What did I change?
1. I stopped drinking Soda. I replaced it with green tea and lots and lots of water.
2. Quit using Sugar/Fake sweeteners. I replaced those with natural sweeteners like Agave Nectar and occasionally Stevia.
3. Stopped eating dairy.
4. Started taking Spirulina.
5. Stopped eating processed crap.
6. Started eating more fruits,veggies,nuts,etc.
7. Stopped eating white products(bread,pasta,etc.)Replaced them with whole wheat versions.
Thanks to these dietary changes my skin looks better than it has in a long time. My dull skin is now glowing. Soon I will do a review of several products I have added to my skincare routine that I believe help as well so look for those reviews.
So what do you think? Are you really what you eat? If you decide to give any of these dietary changes a try yourself let me know if they work for you.
Note: I am not a dermatologist, dietitian or M.D. I am only telling you about things that I have tried that have worked for me. Please don’t try these things without consulting your doctor first. Thank you.